On May 30, 1787, a group of eight Masons of Dutch descent living in New York City petitioned the Grand Lodge of the State of New York for permission to establish a new Masonic lodge that would conduct its proceedings in the Low Dutch language. After some negotiations and after conceding that minutes would be maintained in English for the benefit of Grand Lodge inspectors, a Warrant to confer the degrees of Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft, Master Mason and Mark Master Mason was issued to The Holland Lodge on September 20, 1787.
Holland Lodge was, in fact, the first “new” Lodge to be warranted by the newly formed Grand Lodge of the State of New York in the wake of the American Revolution. Interestingly, the lodges existing in New York State at the beginning of the Revolution were “back-dated” to their original colonial warrants granted under the aegis of the two English Grand Lodges then in existence. Holland Lodge was formally consecrated in ceremonies held on October 1, 1787, and selected as its motto Deugd Zy Uw Cieraad, “Virtue Is Your Jewel.” The Grand Lodge first issued lodge numbers in 1789, and Holland Lodge was then assigned No. 8.